Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:54:18 -0600, granpaw wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in
:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:16:18 -0800, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di
wrote:

I thought they were burning the stripped cobs after taking the food
kernels off, but they're burning kernel corn. Who thought up THAT
one?

Someone who can do math, I'd expect. Cost of A is less than cost of
B, so do A. As soon as I have my summer project built, I hope to be
able to add a corn auger to my existing woodburner.

And I thought I'd read in this thread somewhere towards the beginning tha
the corn should be completely dry.

Well, I suppose that would affect how it "flows" in the hopper, and how
hot and completely it will burn.

I'm wondering if it isn't more like I had heard when the corn furnace came
out here in northern wisconsin the a higher moisture corn would give a
higher temp (steam?)..hmm makes sense to me unless I'm missing something.

I think if you're heating up water to boil it off before you can burn
the kernel, you're wasting energy. Drier corn would seem to be the
best fuel. This is all spitballing, I haven't read about moisture levels
and how they change heat output per bushel, but I'd think it's like
firewood - the drier, the better.

Nice thing is, if you get a dual-fuel furnace, you can burn wood _or_
corn. I've got a forced air setup that I'd love to put into use;
it's rated for coal as well, but that's unlikely in my area than corn
is (south-central Wisconsin).