Andrew Gabriel

Default light switches - safety issue?

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
except cost of replacement fuses

Well an HRC fuse costs under a quid, so it is pretty academic. The 5A
carrier for mine actually fitted standard plug fuses at around 10p each. I
don't know if this is because the 5A HRC fuse matches in size, or just the
carrier design. I never needed to change it, anyway.

I know they fit, but you must never use a BS1362 plugtop fuse
in a BS1631 Consumer Unit fuse carrier -- it doesn't have
sufficient current breaking capacity. If there was a short
circuit and you have a low impedance supply, a plugtop fuse
in a consumer unit could fail to safely interrupt the current.

--
Andrew Gabriel