Phisherman

We had both metal and wood class. Made a step stool, decorative
three-tier wall shelf, wall organizer (key hooks, paper roll, letter
holder), bud vase, lamp, small folding table. The bud vase and paper
cutter on the organizer were made from Plexiglas (somehow plastics and
woodworking can share many tools). In metal class I made a rotating
baby-jar organizer which my father put in his shop.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:12:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

What did you make?
What did your teacher make while you were occupied?

I made nothing. No shop in our school. Probably because it was before the
iron age and the only tools we had was a rock.

My son made a box with a hinged lid. My grandson made a shelf with a curved
pack and angle brackets. It is hanging in the downstairs hallway.

I took a four day course at a Woodcraft store and we made a CD shelf. It is
a fairly simple design, but you had to:
Select the wood
joint
plane
layout
cut curves on the bandsaw
scrape and sand
round over edges
cut a tenon
cut a dado
fit everything with handplane and chisels
drill and dowel one shelf

Ten people to a class and we learned basics of wood movement, sharpening
tools, story sticks, safety, saw demos of tool use, etc. Instructor (or his
assistant) did all the setups. Finishing was not done in class but some
time was spent discussing various finishes.

I would think most high school students would be interesting in having a CD
shelf or similar item. this was about 30 hours of class time but could be
done in more or less depending on what the kids already know.