Bill Davis Jr

The high school I went to had 2 carpentry classes. One was for
woodworking (grades 10&12) and the other was more for home building
(11&12).

Some projects I got to make in the woodworking shop we

3 drawer jewlery box
6 in high step stool
Router table
Some clocks
And we did somethings for the school itself

In the Home building shop:

We got to build a scaled down (but almost full scale) model of a
house. Get this it was big enough to fit in the shop.

And in my 12th grade year we contacted by a local fire company and
built a Fire Saftey House. They could take to local elementry schools.
That was probably my best project I ever worked on.

Bill

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:36:43 -0500, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

Reading the Yeeee-Hah!!! thread, it got to wondering how my high school
woodworking experience might differ from others. My impression was that our
projects were relatively small compared to other schools, possibly due to
overcrowding. We had "Industrial Arts" from grade 7 to 9, age 12 to 14.
But anyway, two questions come to mind:

What did you make?
What did your teacher make while you were occupied?

I got to make
- candle holders (three pieces of wood, two holes)
- lamp, styled like an old water pump
- model rocket nose cones (our own individual design)
- adjustable record rack (our own collective design)
(That's it? Less than I thought after three years! Last year was wasted in
a metal shop with a new teacher in a new school. Can't remember even
lifting a single tool. Sigh.)

My teacher was making some double-helix carved lampstands. Very inspiring.

Maybe you can give me some age-appropriate ideas that my own children will
like to try. So far my 13 year old has had NO formal shop instruction at
school. But that's a separate thread.

- Owen -