Lee Michaels

"Ignoramus29737" wrote in message
snip--------

[the article above is a PDF file from a barbell manufacturer that
claims, among other things, that chroming a barbell causes "hydrogen
embrittlement"].

I think that there is a possibility that the article is not true. He
is saying that a relatively quick process of chroming is going to
affect deep layers of steel inside the handle. I am doubtful that this
is indeed the case. I am xposting to rec.crafts.metalworking to see
what they say.

That tends to be a problem only for heat treated items, but it is true.
Hydrogen embrittlement can be a serious problem under that condition.

I am no expert in these matters. And I don't know who at the metal working
forum would be such an expert either.

But as someone who has worked extensively with small gym equipment
manufacturers, the universal truth by this group is that bars covered with
chrome are of low quality. They feel that way for a reason. I trust their
judgement. This was long before I heard of hydrogen embrittlement.