Ken Moon

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:12:21 -0700, "buck"
wrote:
SNIP ............
Another option is to
build a carriage that clamps onto the bed and allows a router (fitted
with a core box bit) to run along a sloped track. In either case,
I would remove the excess on the table saw or band saw. I don't have
the extra bucks to buy a lathe duplicator, but have built "router
carriages" to make many tapered duplicate spindles. This setup can
actually be done without a lathe, using a friend to run an electric
drill to turn the piece while I move the router down the carriage at
the approximate rate of 5 seconds per inch of travel.

==========================
There are several commercial products that do this. A low cost version was
sold several years back by Sears under the name "Router Crafter". In
addition to the duplication, it had a cable drive that allowed spirals in
both directions. It could also be indexed for straight line fluting. They
show up on E-bay from time to time. If you can get one for $50.00 (USD) or
less, it would be a good accessory to have on hand. There's a more precision
device, but it goes for much higher $$. Try Art Ransom's web site for more
details. Neither on will replace your lathe, but can be a usful add-on.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX