John Rumm

Default light switches - safety issue?

Christian McArdle wrote:

Would have thought that is why boards like my rewireable wylex unit have
a cover that goes over all of the fuses....

I'm not sure I've seen one with the cover still present. Most people chuck
them away after changing the sodding fuse wire one too many times. My old

;-) yup - most I have seen would confirm that. I am still the proud
owner (and user!) of the one on my one though!

(although not for much longer - I will need more ways when I build the
loft conversion so I think it is time to swap it out for something a
little less "depricated".

house was always blowing the 5A fuse wire. The circuit wasn't even
particularly highly loaded (150W of fluorescent max, no incandescent). I got

Must admit to not needing to change any fuses for best part of ten years
- then I made the mistake of installing a light fitting with mains power
halogens. A couple of times a bulb has failed and taken out the
downstais lighting fuse. (Clomping one of the bulbs with the end of the
vacuum cleaner pipe the other week did neither any favours either ;-)

fluorescent tube fitting in the kitchen. Quite simply, I see no purpose for
a wire fuse carrier, when a cartridge fuse carrier is superior in every

except cost of replacement fuses

respect. A simple ban on them would suffice, not that many are fitted these
days.

Well they are depricated in the regs - so as you say it is unlikely that
many more will be fitted. No reason to rip out all the existing ones
until their natural end of life though.

--
Cheers,

John.