George

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I am a novice at woodturning and could use some guidance. I have a 2.5"
square of laminated poplar 16" long. I want to shape it so it ends up as a
tapered spindle 2.5" on one end and 1.5" at the other end. I do have an
extra inch on each end which could be wasted if necessary. My question is
... What is the best way to do this? I can see myself taking off too much
wood somewhere along the way and having to throw away the piece. Would WWs
band saw it first? I will have to make four of them. I don't know how to
turn them so that they end up with a relatively consistant taper..... I
posted this at another forum also.....Any help appreciated.

Nothing quite as exotic as the others'. I cut the tapers oversize by about
1/8 on the bandsaw and cut until the "click" stops on the lathe - round.
Then I refine to the critical dimensions with the skew and sand.