Bjarte Runderheim

"buck" skrev i melding
ervers.com...
I am a novice at woodturning and could use some guidance. I have a 2.5"
square of laminated poplar 16" long. I want to shape it so it ends up as a
tapered spindle 2.5" on one end and 1.5" at the other end. I do have an
extra inch on each end which could be wasted if necessary. My question is
... What is the best way to do this? I can see myself taking off too much
wood somewhere along the way and having to throw away the piece. Would WWs
band saw it first? I will have to make four of them. I don't know how to
turn them so that they end up with a relatively consistant taper..... I
posted this at another forum also.....Any help appreciated.

I make a lot of these for stool-legs.
What I do:
I measure the length of the finished leg, mark, and turn the thickness +
some with a
parting iron in each end.
I calculate the thicness of the middle, and turn this thickness + some, in
the middle.
Then I use the roughingiron to take the edges and the main thicness down to
near the thickness marked with the parting iron,
then I change to a 1" oval chisel "scary sharp" and I straighten the line
down to the parting iron marks.
After controlmeasuring, I either use the chisel more, or I sand and finish.
An aluminum ruler is my help to get he line straight; I just hold it along
the spindle, and mark "humps" with my pencil and take them off with
the chisel.

If I make a longer leg, I make more measured markings with the parting tool
along the length.

Good luck:-)

Bjarte