Gunner

On 18 Feb 2005 13:25:49 -0800, wrote:

First of all, global warming is a myth. We are actually heading into
the next ice age.

I'm certainly not an expert and I haven't really investigated the issue
in a whle, so I'm not making any claims about global warming one way or
the other.

With that said, I just ran across the following quote (from
metafiler.com)

"The strongest evidence yet that global warming has been triggered by
human activity has emerged from a major study of rising temperatures in
the world's oceans. The present trend of warmer sea temperatures,
which have risen by an average of half a degree Celsius (0.9F) over the
past 40 years, can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are
responsible, new research has revealed. The results are so compelling
that they should end controversy about the causes of climate change,
one of the scientists who led the study said yesterday. "The debate
about whether there is a global warming signal now is over, at least
for rational people," said Tim Barnett, of the Scripps Institution of
Oceanography in La Jolla, California. "The models got it right. If a
politician stands up and says the uncertainty is too great to believe
these models, that is no longer tenable."

The quote is from the Times (UK):
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...9955-3,00.html.

Back to "lurk mode".

http://naturalscience.com/ns/cover/cover5.html

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...s/Ice_Age.html

Is a New Ice Age Under Way?

by Laurence Hecht

“Watch out, Al Gore. The glaciers will get you!” With that appended
note, my friend, retired field geologist Jack Sauers, forwarded to me
a report that should have been a lead item in every newspaper in the
world. It was the news that the best-measured glacier in North
America, the Nisqually on Mount Rainier, has been growing since 1931.

The significance of the fact, immediately grasped by any competent
climatologist, is that glacial advance is an early warning sign of
Northern Hemisphere chilling of the sort that can bring on an Ice Age.
The last Little Ice Age continued from about 1400 to 1850. It was
followed by a period of slight warming. There are a growing number of
signs that we may be descending into another Little Ice Age—all the
mountains of “global warming” propaganda aside.

Our current understanding of the long-term climate cycles shows that
for the past 800,000 years, periods of approximately 100,000 years’
duration, called Ice Ages, have been interrupted by periods of
approximately 10,000 years, known as Interglacials. (We are now about
10,500 years into the present Interglacial.)

snip

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)