James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Typically "Chopping" blocks are made this way with the end grain up. For
true cutting boards,
I've typically seen edge grain showing. Either way, I'm sure it'll work
just fine!
Cheers,
cc

"toller" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"toller" wrote in message
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/Cuttingboard.jpg

I glued up two cutting boards out of radom scraps. Then I cut them into
1" pieces, mixed them up, and turned them so that all the end grain was
up, and glued them up.
About a pint of BLO later...

It looks and feels like smooth formica, except the detail is way beyond
what you could get in formica.

I am not sure I like it, but it is interesting.

It does look interesting, but end grain? Won't is suck up anything
liquid on it?

No, it is completely saturated with BLO. And I mean competely. If you
apply it to the top, some wicks out the bottom. Let it dry a while, apply
more, etc. It weights significantly more than the raw wood.