DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I had a German (Austrian?) three-wheeler in the small shop I set up in a
hospital in the 80's. The saw had an "Emco" (not "Enco") label on it and
might even have been build by them.

It was. Mine has the same type of motor that the C5 milling
machine (milling column for a Compact-5 on a separate (quite solid) X-Y
base, and the same type that the manual Compact-5 lathe has. I've got
the CNC version of the lathe, so I wind up with a DC PM motor instead.)

[ ... ]

It had a welded rectangular tube frame, and I used it to surprisingly good
advantage, mostly on aluminum.

I've got one of them, too. I got it from eBay a couple of years
ago, and it was not too well packed, so some of the plastic end plates
were broken -- took a bit of work with some MEK to sort of glue them
back together. I would love to find a source for replacement plastic
end caps for the channels, though it does still work well.

Anyway -- it had provisions for three speeds. The first two
were fast speeds, with small pulleys on the hub of the third wheel. The
third speed was a pulley groove cut around the bottom wheel, just beside
the fan blade -- big diameter to very small motor pulley diameter. A
bit fast for steel, but nice for most other common metals. The high
speed works well for aluminum.

For cutting round or square stock to length, I have one of the
ubiquitous 4x6" "$200.00 bandsaws", which now sell for about $160.00. :-)

The combination of the two covers most of my needs.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564