Wayne Tiffany

Sounds like the one I built - beautiful full console cabinet, etc. GR-2000,
25". I ended up with 3.5 of them as each time I had a problem and found a
"dead" one, I had to take the whole thing to get the part I needed. The
high voltage board & particularly the flyback seemed to be the weak point in
the system. Other than that it was a fun TV with remote, built-in dot
generator, on-screen channel display, etc. I learned a lot from that one -
thanks for the memory.

WT

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you think someone could resurrect a company like Heath used to
be and sell electronic kits these days? I sure thought that was great
fun and educational. But i fear the nintendo generation cares more
about flashing lights than what makes them work.

I'm 36, and my Dad built a Heathkit color TV when I was a kid. Not
sure of the size, maybe 25, or 27"... maybe a bit smaller. First TV I
ever heard of that had a remote control (which was ultrasonic!).

The channels were displayed digitally on the screen in white letters.
The tuning was analog, where you had a board that pulled out that
looked like a switchboard. You'd literally take jumper wires into one
of the tuning slots, and connect up what channel number it represented.
(so ch. 4 would be 0-4).

I think there was also a jumper for uhf/vhf, then there was a multiturn
pot that you'd adjust to actually tune in the station. It was
something else!

The tuning constantly had to be adjusted, just like any other tuning on
an analog TV.