toller

Default A tiny little leak in a soldered joint...

I lied, another question. This home improvement stuff is harder than it
looks.

I soldered 8 joints in 3/4" pipe Tuesday. I looked it over today and there
was a drop of water on the pipe. It took a while, but I found one of the
joints was oozing a drop of water about every 5 minutes. I know the pipe is
well seated in the joint because I did this one with the T in a vise and
shoved it in securely; but I am very unhappy with it leaking.
I heated the fitting from the bottom and applied the solder to the top of
the pipe. It wicked into the pipe and ran out the bottom, leaving a little
glob. Oddly, the leak is at the bottom where the solder actually ran out.
I cleaned like crazy, and surely flux would have run to the bottom even I
failed to flux adequately; and that is where I was heating the joint so it
had to have been hot enough (since the top was hot enough to melt the
solder), so I can't figure out what I could have done wrong. Even with a
magnifying glass I can't see anything that isn't solid, but there obviously
is. If I wasn't so anal, I wouldn't even have seen the damn drop.

Could I have heated it too much and the solder ran out before it could
harden?!

So, my question.... Since I know the pipe is well seated, and I can see a
continuous band of solder all the way around the joint, it can't be too bad,
right?
If I heat the bead of solder that is on the pipe right next to the leak, I
think maybe there is a possibility (probably not large) that it will stop
the leak. If that happens, can I let it go? Or is the joint comprimised
and simply stopping the leak is masking a potential failure.

Opening up the joint and redoing it will not be easy because I will have do
a bunch of dissassembly down below. There is a water powered sump pump and
I will have to pull that out before so I can run water through the pipe to
be sure no loose solder has fallen into the pipe. So, if I can avoid
that...
But a joint failure will be a horrible mess, and I have to be sure it is
sound.

I am going on vacation Saturday, so you won't have to put up with my
questions for a while. I am NOT taking my laptop.