Mike Harrison

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:53:06 -0000, "James" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just checked on my local BCO site. Medway.gov.uk

You can do the work and arrange for a test by a competent registered
person. But not surprinsingly they warn you that you will have
difficult finding anyone prepared to do this.

You can do the work yourself, but you must submit full plans. You then
pay an additional fee (unspecified) on top of the standard BC fee and
they will arrange for someone to do the test.

This is a rip off.

And illegal. Building control are required to pay for such services out
of
the fee you pay them.

If it is illegal is there any action which can be taken against this "abuse
of power"? I guess it results from local authorities trying to get
themselves out of hole - which was not of their making.

You " Here is my notice and fee"
Them " Pay us more, or someone else more for a cert"
You " No. I have already done what the law requires, now do your job & give me my approval"

Who do you complain to if BC don't do their job...?
Can you sue them if their refusal to do their job costs you money (e.g. delays house sale) ?