jakdedert

"Jim Conley" wrote in message
news:dkLQd.408545$8l.35076@pd7tw1no...
snip
An interesting aside - I've had several sources comment on how the
complexity of consumer electronics is resulting in more and more 'false
failures' where the device actually works but, whether through interface
design failures or consumer confusion, appears not to. Two sources have

said
this accounts for over 25% of all returned electronic goods.

I know for a fact that many goods get returned for other than being
defective. I buy them all the time on ebay. Another reason for returns is
that an accessory is bought which will not interface with a particular
customers device...cell phone accessories probably are most at risk in this
respect.

It would be very easy for the manufacturers to implement a standard
mic/headphone interface--in fact one exists: the 2.5mm TRS phone plug--but
many of us are stuck with 'branded' accessories until the aftermarket
decides that there's enough money in duplicating the interface for a
particular model. They then gear up with a plethora of accessories which
become surplus stock to be dumped for pennies on the dollar, once the OEM
decides to change the interface again.... PDA manufacturers (among others)
are also particularly guilty of this strategy of changing interface and form
factor in order to dent the accessory aftermarket's market share.

Apple got caught on the original Ipod, which had an internal battery which
could not be easily replaced--and they tried to say could not be replaced at
all--even by Apple. Consumer revolt changed that policy.

jak

I'll post the story once completed since I expect it would be of interest

the readers and will provide full attribution for any quotes/materials

used.

Thanks,

Jim Conley

"Jim Conley" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm a journalist writing a story for Mobile PC Magazine on the decline

of
quality in consumer electronics. I sent Sam Wasserman an e-mail

regarding
this topic this morning and he recommended posting to the newsgroup. I'd
be interested in the thoughts of sci.electronic.repair readers about
whether the quality of electronics is genuinely on the decline and if

so,
why?

Here's some of the questions I hope to answer with this article.

Has there been a quantifiable decrease in the life span of consumer
products over the last fifteen years?
What segments of consumer electronics seem to be hardest hit?How long

are
consumer electronics meant to last?
Are they any documented cases of electronics being intentionally

crippled
to reduce shelf-life?
Does the concept of a manufacturer's warranty mean anything anymore or

has
point-of-purchase warranty become expected of consumers?

I appreciate your input.

Jim Conley