Tim S

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:27:14 -0800, deckertim wrote:

I would be required by them to get a Periodic Inspect Cert at the end
(apparantly from any competant + qualified person, which I took to mean

C&G 2391) at my cost and present that to them. At this stage they may
make
a further inspection of their own and sign off the job.

This is the bit I don't like. If you ask me this is the a form of
double taxation. Surely if the Local Authority is going to have
responsibility for policing Part P, then the fee paid should include
them doing the testing. If you can find a qualified person to do this
inspection at your expense, how much is this going to cost?

In one of the many earlier posts on the subject, I think I had
predicted this happening.

Have we got a leg to stand on here?

Hi

I see you quoted me, but forgot to actually "quote"...

Well, I was thinking exactly that. One could argue exactly as you say and
state that the law requires me/you to notify BCO via an BNA and tell them
to do their job rather than expecting us to do it for them. Don;t know the
ins and outs of the law, but whatever.

Having said that, the BCO I spoke to was generally so helpful and wanted
to convey the impression that they didn't want to get in the way of honest
DIY that I would go along with it just to keep things that way.

Happy smiling helpful BCOs aren't a universal constant so I'm happy to
bend if it encourages them to be that way. Seems he's bending in my
direction as much as he can anyway, so quid pro quo.

That said, if it turns out to change when I have to do this for real, then
I'll be changing my stance.

Anyway, at least I get a Periodic Cert in my hand done by someone of my
choosing rather than a grumpy old council worker, or contractor who's
milking the system and doesn't give a rats.

My theory anyway.

Tim