Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-17, Bill B wrote:
When I sell a stained glass window, or sidelights on the front door, I only
recommend a normal piece of single strength glass in front of it. The odds
of getting a rock or anything through a particular window are normally very
slim. What really needs protecting is the stained glass from the elements.
Most window cements are not terribly waterproof. And cleaning them, joints
and all, is a real pain. If you are real worried about the location, a
piece of tempered or double strength glass should provide all the protection
you need. Avoid the plastics/polycarbonates, all I've seen yellow or sand
blast real bad. Something above the stairs should just need environmental
protection.

Ya know... I was reading an old "The Craftsman" from December 1902. One of
the articles was written by a "Glass Man". He claimed that the problem with
"Modern" (1900's) stained glass was cheapness on the part of the builder who
tried to use insufficient lead or other cost-cutting methods. He also complained
about customers who thought they knew more than he did about what was required
to support a stained glass window.

As way of proof he offered examples of stained glass from the 12th century that
were perfectly fine while current(1902) windows in New York City were falling
apart after a decade or two. The statement was made that outside glass was
not necessary at all.

Title of the article is "Rambling Thoughts of a Glass Man" and the author was
Otto Heinigke.

--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years