Doctor Evil

nick smith wrote:

...........SSSNNIIPPP........

Synthetic oils only have an advantage in that they allow longer service
intervals with normal cars. Your post suggested they stopped wear in
abused engines at extremely low milages - so low the cars would still be
within warranty.

Please make up your mind.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave,

I can't believe you just wrote that unless,

a) someone is impersonating you....then it wouldn't have been you

anyway,
b) you are bored and felt like starting a flame war
c) you have had several too many tonight....

Synthetic oils are WAY better than conventional mineral oils, both in

lubricity
and longevity
for starters. They resist temperature extremes better, both more fluid

when
cold and by getting
thicker at elevated temperatures by uncoiling their molecules.... they

are more
slippery to the extent
that in some wet clutch motorcycle engines ( and doubtless countless

other
applications) they are
excluded from being able to be used as the clutch would slip.

If they were little better then I am sure the manufacturers would have

been
rumbled and not
be able to sell enough of the stuff to make it viable, certainly not at

the
price they demand.

The bit about the suggestion that it "stopped wear in abused engines at
extremely low mileages"
is debateable - if parts are so slack that they are bashing themselves

into
oblivion then nothing
will stop that, but that's not my point or argument ...

Nick

It all goes back to my point, that, like gold plated litz stranded HiFi
cables, there are some advantages, but overall in most applications the
differences are so slight as to be totally not worth the extra cash.

Read my post on this, on startup protection.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download