Bill B

When I sell a stained glass window, or sidelights on the front door, I only
recommend a normal piece of single strength glass in front of it. The odds
of getting a rock or anything through a particular window are normally very
slim. What really needs protecting is the stained glass from the elements.
Most window cements are not terribly waterproof. And cleaning them, joints
and all, is a real pain. If you are real worried about the location, a
piece of tempered or double strength glass should provide all the protection
you need. Avoid the plastics/polycarbonates, all I've seen yellow or sand
blast real bad. Something above the stairs should just need environmental
protection.

"Jeff and Jennifer Cook" wrote in message
My wife and I are in the process of a new home construction. We have
purchased a large stained glass window to hang above the stairs (6' x 8').
We are planning on having an outside tempered glass window in front of the
stained glass. Any tips on what I should have the window hangers do and
not
do? Should I line the inide of the tempered glass with screen or chicken
wire to keep a rock from coming through or is the tempered glass
sufficient?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff