Sneezy

Default Joining a co-axial cable

"James Hart" wrote in news:c44icj$2digii$1@ID-
76251.news.uni-berlin.de:

Sneezy wrote:
"Owain" wrote in
:

"Sneezy" wrote
Well B & Q are stopping selling cable by the metre for some reason -
can't think why :-/

Because if everyone who buys a 'metre' of cable actually cuts off 110
cm that works out at 10% shrinkage of stock. Much better to make
people buy 5m when they only need 3.

Yup. And how many people nick a handful of cable clips from the box,
or a tap washer from a packet of assorted washers... It just grated a
bit - having to buy 5m when we only needed 1m. Actually, we needed
about 10cm - I cut the fitted plug off a fridge, threaded the cable
through a worktop, put a new plug on and discovered that it no longer
reached the plug socket Much swearing ensued I was doing it for
my mate who can't see so well. So it was off to B & Q for all the
bits necessary to extend the cable. All in about £5 vanished on a
connector box and cable!

Surely you'd have been better off buying a cheap extension lead and doing
the joining under the wortop. I wouldn't dare suggest just using the
extension lead through the worktop as a permanent means of connecting the
appliance in this NG.

Well, since I was doing the work for him it makes him the customer. What
the customer wants, the customer gets - they are, after all, always right
The connector box is hidden under the worktop and there's plenty of
slack to pull the fridge out if needs be. My suggestion was to drill out a
hole in the worktop that would allow the plug to pass through - I've done
this myself at my old flat - but he didn't want a big hole. I have issues
with hidden extension leads - I just don't think of them as safe. Far
better to have the extension in view. Maybe I need help

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law