James Hart

Default Joining a co-axial cable

Sneezy wrote:
"Owain" wrote in
:

"Sneezy" wrote
Well B & Q are stopping selling cable by the metre for some reason -
can't think why :-/

Because if everyone who buys a 'metre' of cable actually cuts off 110
cm that works out at 10% shrinkage of stock. Much better to make
people buy 5m when they only need 3.

Yup. And how many people nick a handful of cable clips from the box,
or a tap washer from a packet of assorted washers... It just grated a
bit - having to buy 5m when we only needed 1m. Actually, we needed
about 10cm - I cut the fitted plug off a fridge, threaded the cable
through a worktop, put a new plug on and discovered that it no longer
reached the plug socket Much swearing ensued I was doing it for
my mate who can't see so well. So it was off to B & Q for all the
bits necessary to extend the cable. All in about £5 vanished on a
connector box and cable!

Surely you'd have been better off buying a cheap extension lead and doing
the joining under the wortop. I wouldn't dare suggest just using the
extension lead through the worktop as a permanent means of connecting the
appliance in this NG.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk