Bob Shuman

hey Jim,

Thanks for sharing what you learned. I can relate to your comment on the
high percentage of consumer returns that showed no problems. My 18-year old
son bought an iPod prior to Christmas and had been using it without any
problems for several months. Just a couple weeks ago he told me he was
having trouble with it and thought it had "died". I told him to put it on
the AC charger overnight and check it out in the AM when it was fully
charged. He ignored my instruction and showed me how it would not even
power up on the AC adapter or the USB cable to the family computer. I once
again instructed him to put it on the AC charger since the batteries were so
low it was dragging down the power supply so could not function. He told me
he would do this...

The next evening when I came home he told me that it still did not work and
that he had contacted Apple and they would be sending a box to return it
post paid under warranty. I asked him to see the unit and plugged it in
myself overnight. The next morning the unit functioned perfectly and when
the4 box came from Apple, he decided he did not need it. It has been
working fine for a month or so now. This just shows how if you do not
understand the technology being used, it can lead to erroneous conclusions.

Bob

"Jim Conley" wrote in message
An interesting aside - I've had several sources comment on how the
complexity of consumer electronics is resulting in more and more 'false
failures' where the device actually works but, whether through interface
design failures or consumer confusion, appears not to. Two sources have

said
this accounts for over 25% of all returned electronic goods.

Jim Conley