Sneezy

Default Joining a co-axial cable

(Lobster) wrote in
om:

Sneezy wrote in message
. 222.124...
I need to cut and re-join a co-axial TV aerial cable but I've no idea
what tools and connectors I'll need. I might also need a bit of cable
to connect the two ends but there's a lot of different types of cable
and I haven't the foggiest when it comes to co-ax. Everything will be
in a damp, cold environment. I also wanted to fit a wall plate
connector and make up a short length of cable from the TV to the wall
but wall plates with back boxes don't exist for some reason. Any
advice?

In addition to what others have said....
You don't say exactly why you want to need to cut and rejoin (maybe
twice?) the co-ax; but if there's a way of extending te cable to where
you need it without doing this (ie by replacing it with a longer
length) then go for it. There's a good chance you could reduce your
picture quality by introducing joints; best avoided if possible.

Once upon a time the cellar had a window and said co-ax went through the
cellar window frame. "They" knocked out the window and bricked it up,
leaving about a metre of window frame hanging on the co-ax. I think it's
either the gas pipe or the cold water pipe (can't recall off the top of my
head) that holds the weight otherwise the co-ax would be ripped from the
cellar ceiling. The co-ax comes down the outside wall from the aerial on
the roof, in through the cellar wall, across the cellar ceiling and up into
the living room. I had a go at cutting the wood but it's a dead loss - it
moves too much and I don't like the strain it puts on the pipe :-S I wanted
to avoid messing with the cable but I don't have much choice A power
tool of some sorts might help but probably not in my hands , plus it
would be tricky to wield such a tool without going through the cable
anyway!

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law