steve

F. George McDuffee wrote:
snip
I have done a bit of reading on global warming and its possible

effects.
Even if there is only a 30% chance that what the scientists

predict
actually happens, I would like to be prepared. As I understand it,

the
effects of global warming will not really hit hard for the next

15-20
years, but after that things may get ugly (large scale droughts,

change
in ocean currents, rising sea levels etc.)

snip
While global warming *MAY* be occurring, it has by no means been
proven, nor has the quantifiable magnitude of the effects of
human activity been determined.

In the US, the imminent disaster of economic collapse due to
unsustainable governmental deficits, and/or unsustainable trade
deficits is far more the "clear and present danger." This is
greatly compounded by the rapidly increasing mal-distribution of
income and income producing assets both nationally and
internationally on both personal and regional basis.

If there were any actual concern with the build-up of the
so-called green house gasses, we would be using the huge numbers
of non-violent offenders in the U.S. prison systems to plant
suitable trees on public lands. The gasbags in government
continue to talk, while we continue to denude the land of
vegetation, for example by clear cutting of forests, indicating
the whole subject of "global warming" is simply a diversion for
the sections of the US population that don't follow professional
athletics or the M. Jackson trial.

As for steps you can take for yourself and your family, move to a
small town, get to know your neighbors, learn traditional skills,
and invest in real assets such as land and tools. Avoid BS
professions/occupations that don't generate any "added value," as
these are the first to go when the crunch hits.

GmcD

I suppose this thinking is a sign of modern times in wealthy countries.
That is we are so isolated from nature (in our climate controlled
homes) and protected from just about all our former natural predators,
that we have to start making up things we need protection from.
Probably its an instinct we can't get rid of, for the last million
years we always had to worry about something, death was at our door
daily. So now this instinct drives us to imagine all sorts of
disasters, to allow to us feel normal. The same person who claims the
imminent economic collapse of the US today would of have an entirely
different picture a few years ago when a budget surplus was predicted,
but what happen since then? Did 90% of the US assets fall into the
ocean? Don't ask I suppose, just listen to the economic predictions
made today by the same economists that predicted a surplus a few years
ago. Its crazy logic.