Art

Another part of this equation is the fact that the consumers are demanding
ever increasing features in their products but at a lower price. Therefore
something has to give. Technically in the engineering side of the products
the ideal is more reliability due to inclusion of more mpu and
micro-nization of the circuitry. Allowing the product to operate under a
lower total power consumption. Purposively allowing for longer life span due
to lower ambient operational heat buildup, etc.

Also adding to the equation is the fact that many of the new techniques
involved are making the products much more ESD (static) sensitive, this has
been a problem in computers and micro circuits for many years and is now an
increasing problem in the normal consumer electronics products.

Again, a plethora of just cheap products being dumped on the market place,
from Cell Phones to Microwave Ovens, from recreational marine Radio and
Radar produced to portable DVD and CD players. Then of course the available
Television Sets from 3.5" LCD up to and including 40+" Plasma Sets. The
manufactures have allowed their "Bean Counters" to drive the bottom line.

No longer are the Manufacturer Based Training Materials and Training Courses
provided on a classroom based means. Yes, one can download the training
manuals and attend the on-line seminars provided by very few of these
manufacturers however the servicing division of the retailers ask the
technicians to actually do this on their own time.

The designs of the products are not service friendly, they are designed to
be mass produces on a computer controlled, robotic friendly assembly line to
again lessen the manual cost involved in the end product. This adds time and
effort to the technical end of attending to the needs of the consumer after
the sale, when service is demanded.

Sadly the end user, the guy who actually dumped their hard earned funds for
the products, are the ones who ultimately suffer. The manufacturers and
retailers have made their cut and the product fails, occasionally while
still covered by the manufacturer's moderately limited warranty period.
Normally after this period has expired, at least the labour warranty section
of if. Many consumers do not take advantage of the "Extended Warranty Plans"
offered by many retailers, suspecting theta these plans are just a poor
excuse for selling poor quality products in the first place.

It seems to become a round robin effect, consumers demand inexpensive, high
quality, feature laden products. The manufacturers respond with multiple
products, in many differing value lines, attempting to meet the consumer
demands at the lowest common denominator especially for their cost.

Thanks for at least taking in account what I have posted. IMHO, after
servicing these infernal products since the early 60's seem to be very
indicative that the value for the buck has diminished.
wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim Conley wrote:
Hello,

I'm a journalist writing a story for Mobile PC Magazine on the

decline of
quality in consumer electronics. (snip)

Jim,

I think it is beyond doubt that the build qulity of most consumer
electronics has fallen into the abyss. The other posters on this thread
have put that very well.

And the reasons? simple: 'the bottom line' is all that matters to the
manufacturers, it's simple economics. They have absolutely no real gain
in producing higher priced products with a longer life. That costs too
much.It is easier to sell, sell, sell , and damn the consequences. Of
course, this approach is IMHO, ecologically unsustainable, wasteful and
damaging in many ways. It will come back to haunt us.

However in the Uk and Europe, it is not uncommon to see 2-3 year full
warranties on new goods, which is I suppose good from the consumer
point of view, but it means people are more tempted to buy the
cheapest, as they feel more secure about risking it, they can just
take it back anyway and get a new one no quibble. Repair doesnt enter
the picture, so what happens to all the returns? landfill material -
not economically viable to service.

The problem is, most of us are incapable of thinking in the long term,
so the above ecological qualms don't bother the vast majority of the
population, it just is not their way of thinking. As consumers, we have
been indoctrinated from birth to do just that -consume, and look at
price and features as the absolute overrriding criteria in decision
making. So the manufacturers sell us what we ask for or "want" - its a
vicious circle.

We are bombarded with advertising from cradle to grave and we are
judged on what we have, as much as who we are. Patterns of consumption
reflect that. Having something 'old' is not seen as 'acceptable'!

so is this spiral going to turn around? not without a genetic mutation
it's not!

just my tuppence worth!
off to vent my spleen elsewhere now! ;-)
-Ben