James Sweet

Hi...

Please excuse me butting in; you're discussing something
that concerns me greatly (I'm old and long retired, but
very much worried about the young people's future)

If I recall correctly - not too long ago virtually anything
coming out of Japan had a three year warranty. When Korea
began to compete almost all that they produced had a five
year warranty. I mean real warranty, no spin-doctoring.
No pro-rated, or it's your fault, or any of that stuff,
just repair it at no cost.

Makes me wonder. Is there *no* way that we could all, each
and every one of us, for the common good get together and
boycott anything with less than 5 years of assured life?

If so:

We'd stop exporting our money, or as the Americans say,
exporting jobs. This would almost certainly re-create
the local service shop, who would do factory authorized and
paid for warranty work. Jobs for our young folks!

We'd stop wasting the earth's resources. We worry now about
oil, about water, etc., but *none* of earth's bounty is
infinite. Why waste it? The energy consumed to mine, ship,
and melt metal for new products can't possibly compare with
heating my soldering iron, eh? And I didn't even yet mention
the enormous waste in shipping - by sea, by train, by truck -
all be saved.

A side effect is that the USA - being under attack; or
thinking they are (a whole different subject) would have a
much much simpler job of inspecting imports.

We'd stop filling and over-filling our waste dump space.

I suspect that if all of us - ALL of us - went to the retailer
and said I want a 5 year warranty or nothing at all it wouldn't
be too long before many of our youngsters would be working
again.

Sorry for the rant. Pet peeve. Putting on my asbestos
suit now

It's a good idea, for an idealogical world. Unfortunatly I suspect a great
many consumers would tell you to **** off and go buy the cheaper product
regardless of the warranty. I'm not one of those but most consumers
obviously are.