James

My thots on GW are this: the weather runs in cycles. The models that are
used are way too simple to be effective. The effects of volcanoes aren't
included. When Mt. Pinatubo (sp) exploded, the global temp. went down a
couple of tenths. When Kracatoa (sp) exploded (1894), it was called "the
year without summer". There were frosts in Atlanta in July. When I was in
school (grad in 65), we were told another ice age was coming. I think the GW
talk is similar to the old "redistribution schemes". You guys (America,
Western Europe) use 50% of the world's energy, but only have 8% of the
population. I think GW is bunk. It was another way to tax (co2 credits) the
citizens of the industrialized world. I used computer modeling to predict
the flight characteristics of guided weapons. The more data you get, the
better your model. I don't think the atmosphere can be modeled very easily.
If your worried, I would move to high ground. I live 13 feet above sea
level on the Gulf coast of Florida. I'm not worried.
I'm sure you understand about the polar ice caps. The arctic ice floats
on the ocean. It doesn't sit on the bottom. Now here's an experiment for
you. Take a glass and fill it with ice. Then fill it to the brim with water.
What happens when the ice melts?
I get very talkative when expounding on things like this. Another one is
the CFC's. I could cover a few pages with that.
"stanley baer" wrote in message
I know that global warming is not talked about too much in the US, but
you guys seem like a pretty well informed bunch and I am curious what
your ideas would be concerning the following.

I have done a bit of reading on global warming and its possible effects.
Even if there is only a 30% chance that what the scientists predict
actually happens, I would like to be prepared. As I understand it, the
effects of global warming will not really hit hard for the next 15-20
years, but after that things may get ugly (large scale droughts, change
in ocean currents, rising sea levels etc.)

What would you guys do if you were 35 years old, had a family and wanted
to protect them from the possible chaos that these changes will cause
due to food shortages, economic depression, mass migration from hard hit
parts of the globe and all the social unrest that will accompany all this.

I live near Toronto in Canada, I have thought about buying farm land in
the area. Though fertile and unlikely to suffer from drought, it is
relatively expensive due to the high population density. I am also
afraid that if things got bad enough, trying to be self sufficient in a
highly populated area would be next to impossible as the starving masses
from the nearby cities would constanly be looting your land.

My friends think I am a bit of a nutcase when I mention what is on my
mind and either dismiss me as being overly pessimistic or are resigned
to going down with a sinking ship. I feel better if I am getting
prepared. What strategies would you guys suggest.