John B

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

4. I got annoyed at the frequency with which I'd notice one of the eight
"vanity" bulbs in our master bath burned out. Ten years ago I installed
a dimmer in that circuit and hid it in a box above the top of a medicine
cabinet. I set it slightly down from full on, and I don't think I've had
to replace more than a couple of those vanity bulbs since I did that.
Plus, the light is just a bit softer and redder, which helps us to
accept our morning mugs in the mirror. G

Does a dimmer constitute a soft starter? IOW, does it block current until
voltage zero-crossing?
Obviously, you are not turning the lights on at the dimmer. It is in series
with your regular switch.