Tom Dacon

It's not going to happen that fast. The media people get a little hysterical
about it. I'm a believer, but it's not going to be happening on anything
like a short time scale. You and your family and their children and THEIR
children, to many generations, will be long dead before there are any
serious effects, and even then the effects will be gradual and people will
have plenty of time to react to the changes. People with low-bank
waterfronts will notice that the seawalls that their grandparents built need
to be built up a foot or so, for example, and a couple of generations later
the same thing will happen again.

So find something more immediate to worry about. Like whether that monkey in
Washington ruins Social Security before you can receive any benefits from
it, or whether your job gets offshored. You know, stuff like that, that has
more immediate economic effects.

Tom Dacon

"stanley baer" wrote in message
I know that global warming is not talked about too much in the US, but you
guys seem like a pretty well informed bunch and I am curious what your
ideas would be concerning the following.

I have done a bit of reading on global warming and its possible effects.
Even if there is only a 30% chance that what the scientists predict
actually happens, I would like to be prepared. As I understand it, the
effects of global warming will not really hit hard for the next 15-20
years, but after that things may get ugly (large scale droughts, change in
ocean currents, rising sea levels etc.)

What would you guys do if you were 35 years old, had a family and wanted
to protect them from the possible chaos that these changes will cause due
to food shortages, economic depression, mass migration from hard hit parts
of the globe and all the social unrest that will accompany all this.

I live near Toronto in Canada, I have thought about buying farm land in
the area. Though fertile and unlikely to suffer from drought, it is
relatively expensive due to the high population density. I am also afraid
that if things got bad enough, trying to be self sufficient in a highly
populated area would be next to impossible as the starving masses from the
nearby cities would constanly be looting your land.

My friends think I am a bit of a nutcase when I mention what is on my mind
and either dismiss me as being overly pessimistic or are resigned to going
down with a sinking ship. I feel better if I am getting prepared. What
strategies would you guys suggest.