Joseph Meehan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Joseph Meehan writes:

Putting it in a garage, which will generally be warmer, will warm it
above the freeze point and corrosion will start.

An unheated garage will not be thawed with outside freezing more than
a few days per year, for one season. The differential is a few
degrees and the outside ambient must be within that narrow range.
Depends on the local climate how often this is the case.

This really depends on a number of factors. However you need to
consider that the car when put back into the garage is going to contain a
lot of heat that will warm the garage. In my experience that very often
brings it above freezing.

But a garage *will* avoid a condensing atmosphere, for many, many
days per year, all year long.

The "freezing avoids corrosion" thesis also is questionable.
Condensing vs non-condensing has to be many times more effective than
freezing vs thawed, as regards not promoting corrosion.

I disagree here as well, although again that may be dependent on the
local conditions. When a car is driven into a garage wet, the garage tends
to hold in the moisture for an extended period so often even on a nice warm
dry day the inside of a garage is still damp as the dry air can not remove
the moisture.

Again however I would caution anyone from reading too much into this
part of the issue. I don't believe the difference between garage or not
garage is a major corrosion issue with cars. When it is a noticeable
factor, I believe it may go either way. There are just too many individual
differences to draw any certain conclusions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math