Winston

Bernd wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message

(...)

Ah Winston I totally agree with you. Best thing to do when doing
something like that is have several versions of your invention, such as
the MK-I, MK-II, MK-III, etc. Every time somebody copies your invention
come out with the next improved generation.

I could not have put it better, Bernd.

I've seen how some successful companies use this strategy by planning
several improvements to a product representing an upward migration path
for consumers, before releasing the first one.
Look at how GPS has evolved, for example.

Remember the guy that invented the intermittent wipers that the Ford motor
company put on the their cars. The guy that invented it got a $50 million
settlement IIRC and it was all eaten up by the lawyers after many years of
being run through the courts. The inventor died broke.

His case is not the exception, either.

* Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, suffered two major mysterious
fires when he decided to lock horns with RCA.

* Edwin Howard Armstrong, inventor of super-regeneration and frequency mod-
ulation committed suicide after a 20 - year battle with RCA for royalties.

* Thousands of 'individual contributors' within large corporations who
(sometimes) receive token payment for their million - dollar ideas.
(Know anyone who fits that description?)

Invent several things and sell them. Don't rely just on one invention,
also. Or do like Don Lancaster does, regurgitate somebody else's ideas
in book form. You don't need a patent on that.

Guy Lautard, too with his _The Machinist's Bedside Reader_ series, videos,
and kits.
http://www.lautard.com/

Here is what I would buy from you inventive types:

* A self-sharpening, easily cleaned beard shaving system.

* A 3/8" rechargable ratchet like the one Skil used to sell for nearly
no money. Removing spark plugs was really fast and easy with this.
I miss mine. Gotta be more portable than an air ratchet, too.
Like the Makita 6706DWA, but lighter and for US$ 90., not US$ 300.

* An automotive GPS system that uses a full - size keyboard for address entry.

* A fully automatic drill sharpener.

* A flat - platen printer/copier/scanner/FAX with a full - size LCD screen
that shows exactly how the printed page will look.

* A screwdriver with Wiha system 4 blades, each selectable with just one
click as per the old multi-color pens:
http://www.simple-office.com/p%20t%2...-color-pen.gif

* A machine that cleans, disinfects, dries, fills, caps and refrigerates my
Nalgene water bottles for far less money than store - bought water.

* Multimeter probes that safely connect to wires or be used
as a conventional needle, without the need to keep track of adaptors.

* A small canvas bag that attaches to the power cord of my angle grinder.
It stores the flange adaptors and wrench.

Any other ideas?

--Winston