Wayne

Yes, agreed. Both are examples of the old saying "absolute power
corrupts absolutely." IMHO.

The thing that is different for me, is that liberals want to spend
taxpayers money on social programs. conservatives want to keep it
with the wealthy and ignore the poor. I feel that a decent society
MUST care for their disadvantaged. We can't reduce spending on
Medicare and SS when the demand for those programs will be going up.
Too many kids don't have adequate food, medical care, and education.
This is going to cost us in the long run, and IMHO it's the
conservatives who don't care about these things.

It's not that we don't care, it's that we see the value in work and
making it on your own without government. This fosters innovation, self
reliance, family dependence, the things that make society and the
community stronger in the long term. Yes, society should care for their
disadvantaged, but the problem is defining who is truly disadvantage.
The so called poverty level in this country is always rising as we keep
defining what being poor really is. The have-nots will always say they
are the way they are is because of those they perceive as wealthy, it's
human nature to blame others for your shortcomings. Social programs
almost never work in the long term, time has proven this. We have the
same percentage of "poor" in this country as we did when the Great
Society programs began in the '60s. Throwing buckets of money on a fire
only feeds the fire. What's really needed is conservatives to be
conservative.