Frank Stutzman

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Having traveled to the beautiful city of Dublin at an earlier age doing research
for the (no ****!) "Ethnography of the Irish Pub", a guided independent study I
undertook in college, I have observed the River Liffe which flows through that
city. Reminding me muchly of the pristine waters of Boston harbor before the
cleanup, you couldn't pay me to drink that stuff. I've been to the Guiness
brewery in Dublin and despite all denials, swear they draw their water from the
Liffe. Look at their stout; you can practically see the chunks floating in it!

I used to like Heineken.

Then I took a business trip to Amsterdam. On my spare weekend I took a canal tour
of the city. Saw the Anne Frank house and lots of other historic places. The thing
that shocked me was how polluted the canals were. I was mentioning this to a friend
while we were riding along when we turned the corner of a canal and saw the Heineken
brewery (one of them? I have no idea if they have more than one).

I really doubt the Heineken brewery uses water from the canal. But since then
whenever I see their green bottles in the store, I think of the canals and reach for
something else.

Lately, I've been pretty fond of the Missoula Brewing Companies "Moose Drool".
Wouldn't have tried it, but my six-yearold liked the label and insisted we buy it.
Dang that kid has good tastes in beer ;-)

--
Frank Stutzman