Greybeard

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:36:22 GMT, "Ray Field"
wrote:

Have just been given a small three wheel band saw, had to make an upper
blade guide for it. Obviously designed for hobby woodworking, blade is 56
1/8 inch long 1/4 by 6tpi.
Can this be converted to light metal cutting? I realise that the motor
(direct drive ) will have to be slowed down; are there any metal cutting
blades of this size (1/4 or 3/8 wide) available?
Do not have blade welding equipment, how effective is silver soldering for
joining blade ends? Is the joint a butt or scarf type?
Ray, in sunny Victoria.

Silver soldered is a scarf joint, time honored tradition to drive the
apprentice further out of what little mine he has left. Welded joints
can be stronger, if properly done, or weaker if not so good. You
should be able to buy metal cutting blade stock in either 1/4" or
3/8", I think I've seen it advertised. Gear reduction boxes can
sometimes be found in the scrapyards, mostly on the end of burned up
gear motors. Motor doesn't matter, modify the input and stick a
pulley on it, use whatever motor turns your crank. Frame strength may
be an issue.

Greybeard.