Sneezy

Default Joining a co-axial cable

John Rumm wrote in
:

Sneezy wrote:

I need to cut and re-join a co-axial TV aerial cable but I've no idea
what tools and connectors I'll need. I might also need a bit of cable
to connect

I would suggest you use two F-Plugs (these make a much better
connection than the normal Belling Lee type of aerial plugs), and a
Female/Female F-socket joiner. You will also need some self
amalgamating tape.

F-plugs are very easy to fit if you get the twist on ones. Once fitted
to the cable they then screw into the f coupler so there is no chance
of it pulling apart. Finally cocoon it in self amalgamating tape -
that will ensure it is water proof.

Maplin order codes: FU04E, FE92A, KW29G

the two ends but there's a lot of different types of cable and I
haven't the foggiest when it comes to co-ax. Everything will be in a
damp, cold

If you want the best quality co-ax then look for CT100 or compatible
cable (in addition to the usual braided screen it also has a foil
screen and hence is much less susceptible to interference). Maplin,
CPC, and Screwfix stock it. Maplin will sell it by the meter which may
be better if you don't need much.

Maplin order code XS16S

environment. I also wanted to fit a wall plate connector and make up
a short length of cable from the TV to the wall but wall plates with
back boxes don't exist for some reason. Any advice?

Most wall plates fit onto standard electrical accessory back boxes or
"pattresses ".

Maplin order code VW96E, YB15R

If you are planning to use the TV aerial feed for digital TV (i.e.
freeview) then make sure the socket you get is also fully screened. It
is also easy enough to make your own using a female/female joining
connector like that described above mounted in a hole drilled in an
electrical accessory blanking plate (order code HL86T). You simply
terminate the downlead in a f-plug - and connect it to the coupler
inside the box (you may need to use a right angled f-plug to get it to
fit inside the box). The connect your fly lead to the front of the box
with another f-plug.

Great - many thanks.

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law