Jeff Wisnia

We have been in this house quit a while, and I recall always having
this problem.

We go through light bulbs like water. It is not uncommon for a light
bulb to last two or three weeks before I have to replace it again.

The bulbs always burn out right when the light switch is turned on. I
turn on the light switch, the light goes on for an instant, then burns
out. The bulbs don't ever burn out when the light has been on for a
while.

So, I really feel like there is something not right about the
electricity in the house, as strange as that sounds.

Any ideas?

-----+-----joe Obrin

+-----
http://www.io.com/~joeobrin

If after investigating you find that everything is up to snuff with the
home's wiring, but the incoming voltage is on the high side, but not so
high that your utility will do anything about it, there are a few things
you can do:

1. Buy 130 volt bulbs. They are available through electrical supply
houses. You'll find they will last a LOT longer. They cost quite a bit
more than commonly available bulbs, and you won't get as many lumens of
light per watt consumed, but every convenience has its price.

2. You can buy thermistor "soft start" devices which go in the socket
under the bulb base and effectively eliminate the turn on current surge.

3. As others have suggested you can install solid state lamp dimmers and
remember to turn the lights on by bringing the dimmer up from zero.
That'll eliminate the turn on surge too.

4. I got annoyed at the frequency with which I'd notice one of the eight
"vanity" bulbs in our master bath burned out. Ten years ago I installed
a dimmer in that circuit and hid it in a box above the top of a medicine
cabinet. I set it slightly down from full on, and I don't think I've had
to replace more than a couple of those vanity bulbs since I did that.
Plus, the light is just a bit softer and redder, which helps us to
accept our morning mugs in the mirror. G

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia