Beachcomber

On 13 Feb 2005 20:27:12 -0800, wrote:

We have been in this house quit a while, and I recall always having
this problem.

We go through light bulbs like water. It is not uncommon for a light
bulb to last two or three weeks before I have to replace it again.

The bulbs always burn out right when the light switch is turned on. I
turn on the light switch, the light goes on for an instant, then burns
out. The bulbs don't ever burn out when the light has been on for a
while.

So, I really feel like there is something not right about the
electricity in the house, as strange as that sounds.

Any ideas?

That's very possible. The most likely cause is that the voltage is
too high in your house and that has given you shortened life on the
bulbs.

The question is what is causing this? The first thing you need to do
is get an accurate voltmeter. If you don't own one see if you can
borrow one from a neighbor. Measure the voltage at a few outlets
around your house. Repeat the measurements at various times of day.
You should be measuring no more than 125 volts (Assuming you are in
North America). Two quick possibilities...

1. If you get really weird High and Low readlings, such as 130+ volts
on some outlets and perhaps 100 or less volts on others, you most
likely have a loose or broken neutral problem. This is something that
a professional electrician will need to fix. This is a serious
problem and a fire hazard so you don't want to delay calling for
professional help.

2. If every outlet reads a high voltage, say 130 volts, then most
likely the problem is with your power company, specifically, with the
power company's transformer serving your house. They should fix this
for free.

Perhaps the quickest way to determine the cause of the problem is to
call the power company first. They should send out a technician to
determine if the problem is yours or theirs and most will not charge
you for the visit.

Beachcomber