T i m

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:36:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

snip good stuff

Isn't there is distance limit of USB cables though? If not, it might be
an option in the workshop then.

For USB 1(.1) I believe its 5m before it needs to go though a hub. I
think you can have 4 hubs so 5 'segments' giving 25m or so? These
often look like an 'extension lead' but are infact single port hubs.

I've run 50M cables to these units in the
past.

In theory you should be able to go up to 100m for Cat5 ?

Hmm, so if you were to 'reflect' (concentrate) the signal would that
stay within the rules? What would be the practical difference then re
using a Yagi?

Yagis, etc. are all just differetn types of antenna. You need a base
station which has a co-ax outlet and a bit of cable to connect to the
antenna. You have to do sums like multiply the output power by the gain
of the antennae then subtract the losses in the cables and connectors -
in extreme cases, adding an external antennae can actually reduce the ERP.

And it all seems a bit messy .. weird connectors etc?

snip more good stuff

All the best ..

T i m