mike hide

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a

shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick.

The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are

there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refini

Thanks

It is surprizing how deep some burn marks go, so would not recommend sanding
it out . If you do then a depression will result and youb will be faced with
the task of refinishing and matching the area .

I would do the following, find the local refinishing supply store get a
small amount of shellac and denatured alcohol ,and some powdered colors
about the same as your mantle , mix the alcohol and shellac to about a 3 lb
cut and with a small paint brush color the area in to match the rest of the
mantle . It might take mixing several of the colors together with perhaps a
few darker streaks to imitate the grain [probably need a little black
pigment] Put the color on with the brush almost dry for best effects
......mjh