M&K

Default Scorched woodwork

We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick. The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refinish?

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a
shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick.
The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are
there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refinish?

You can't unscorch wood. Sand and refinish.

Ross Mac

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a
shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick.
The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are
there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refinish?

Thanks

Call a furniture repair business....they can work wonders on wooden
furniture so I would think they may have a solution for you....good luck,
Ross

mike hide

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a

shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick.

The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are

there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refini

Thanks

It is surprizing how deep some burn marks go, so would not recommend sanding
it out . If you do then a depression will result and youb will be faced with
the task of refinishing and matching the area .

I would do the following, find the local refinishing supply store get a
small amount of shellac and denatured alcohol ,and some powdered colors
about the same as your mantle , mix the alcohol and shellac to about a 3 lb
cut and with a small paint brush color the area in to match the rest of the
mantle . It might take mixing several of the colors together with perhaps a
few darker streaks to imitate the grain [probably need a little black
pigment] Put the color on with the brush almost dry for best effects
......mjh

Norminn

M&K wrote:
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick. The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refinish?

Thanks

It is no longer "wood". It is charcoal. You can sand it off/out. It
won't stain. Small enough and touch-up paint can be used, but doesn't
stick to burnt wood well. Lucky it didn't go further )

Andy Hill

"M&K" wrote:
We had a small candle burning in a glass container (about the size of a shot
glass) on our wood mantle. The candle burned to the bottom of the wick. The
container got so hot, we now have a black scorch mark on the wood. Are there
any tricks to removing this, or is our only option to sand and refinish?

If it's just a scorch of the varnish / poly, you can sand and refinish. If
it's a serious burn, probably the best you can do is try to mess around with the
finish to make it sort of look like it "belongs". Might just have to learn
to like the "distressed" look for this mantle...it's not a burn mark, it's
character :-)

Painting the woodwork Stephen UK diy 4 February 3rd 05 02:02 PM
Painting woodwork - best practice? andrewpreece UK diy 5 November 19th 04 04:12 PM
Protecting woodwork when it's too cold to paint Glenn Ammons Home Repair 8 October 22nd 04 05:10 PM
Painting loft conversion woodwork [email protected] UK diy 1 August 30th 04 02:15 AM
Woodwork paint removal - Metabo LF714s any good - other suggestions Eric the Red UK diy 0 August 20th 03 07:00 PM