Colbyt

"orangetrader" wrote in message
Hi Colbyt:

Thanks. It is a hollow metal door. Any advice will be appreciated.

Those are a little more difficult than wood.

You may be able to skip the hole filling part and just use the repair set
below if the door feels solid. I am going to include all the steps.

What you will need to do is measure the hole in the edge of the door that
the mortise lock was removed from and cut a wood plug that can be tapped
into the hole with gentle hammer blows. Apply a liberal amount of wood glue
to the inside of the hole and the block of wood. Clamp this and allow to
dry per directions on your glue container.

Once dry you will need to drill the new holes in the door for the deadbolt
and handle. Use the repair item below to determine where to drill those
holes so as to best cover the holes in the door skin. Your new locks will
also come with templates to show you where to drill the holes but you have
to modify that to fit the repair kit. What I mean is the vertical measures
are set by the repair kit. In a normal install you set the vertical
measurements as you want them. You can buy an installation kit that includes
the hole saw and drill bit. Cutting a metal door skin you may need 2 blades
for the hole saw. Run the hole saw until the bit exits the door on the other
side and then switch to that side to prevent splintering or in this case
bowing the metal.

The picture below is for a single lockset. They make the same item with two
holes. One for a deadbolt and the other for a standard knob lock. These are
made to fit doors 1 3/8" and 1 3/4". You may have to shop around to find
the double one in the 1 3/4". My Lowes stocks them but I can't find them on
the Lowes web site.

You can usually enlarge the picture by clicking on it or the description.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...10.1108323137@
& MID=9876

If the link is broken go to www.home depot.com , type lockset in the search
box, go to the second page and look at Prime Line Products
Entry Lockset Brass Door Repair Cover
Model 888500
Internet/Catalog 888500

If all of this scares you silly you can most likely find a locksmith that
will do the job (minus the hole filling part) as long as he knows what parts
to bring to the site.

Feel free to ask for clarification on anything I failed to make clear.

Colbyt