Gordon Henderson

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

100 milliwatts ERP Effected Radiated Power. If you don't want to make a
cantenna then this lot do some very good ones. We have a link in daily
use that does 6.1 kilometres and its fine)

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-24.htm

Yup. With the right kit, you can do wonders. The longest WiFi (802.11b)
link we installed was a shade over 7.5Km. Omni at one end, and a grid
parabolic at the other end.

We also installed a 17.5Km link using 5.8GHz kit with 2' dishes at each
end and very good line of sight... (Which my home broadband comes over!)
It got a little unreliable last year when one of the dishes filled up with
snow driven into it in a gale )-: We also found that it wasn't properly
aligned - we'd just guessed one end because we couldn't see it - it turned
out to be 15 degrees out which over that distance was quite considerable
- we reckoned we were seeing one of the side-lobes rather than the main
beam. It's been rock solid since we went back and aligned the dishes
properly.

Theres a lot of hackers out there who go for distance records - 50
miles or something was the last one I heard about I think, but I gave
up looking as it gets a bit silly - mountian top to mountian top with
dishes the size of cars...

Hm. solwise do power over ethernet kit-

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-14pe.htm

£32 quid each for the cheaper level ones - might be worth investigating...

Gordon