WoofWoof

Rick Cook wrote:

WoofWoof wrote:

I'd be amazed if that's the case (and I stand to be corrected). I do,
though, believe that US drivers have to pay some kind of licence to
haul loads in Canada. (Come to think of it, that's actually 20 year
old info ... don't know if it's current).

I have a friend who drives from Canada to the US all the time. She's
American and her husband is Canadian. I know they don't change drivers
at the border and she's never said anything about having to pay to haul
loads to and from Canada.

My recollection was based on an incident in the early 80's. The company
I was working for had some parts being made by an outfit in Michigan.
Schedule was really tight so the guys there, when they had the first
parts ready, threw them on a truck and personally drove them here. They
were stopped by the OPP (or as those guys later called them "The
Highwaymen") because they didn't have some kind of license for the truck
that they needed to transport goods in Ontario/Canada. They made them
pay on the spot (they had a credit-card machine!)and sent them on their
way. It was only applicable to commercial vehicles of course (and
perhaps even only trucks over a certain weight).

Like I say, 20 year old info and pre-NAFTA as well. I'd actually be
suprised if it still applies (since NAFTA) but the earlier poster seemed
adamant that that US drivers couldn't haul loads in Canada. I don't
believe that but I wondered if it was some similar licence requirement
that he was confusing.