John

Funny, that, that's exactly how I've done it, too.

I was turning tapers, about 380mm long, tapering from 15 to 3.8mm. I
started with some 5/8"round bar and cut the taper 80mm at a time, working
from the small end to the large. I centre drilled the small end for the
rotating centre, not really for support, but to keep it from whipping about.
Worked a treat.

Cheers

John