T i m

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:18:01 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

Indeed, but I was just questioning if the 'rules' covered power to the
antenna or radiated from it?

All the best ..

T i m

With most things RF and goverment rules its radiated power that counts,
that way it covers antennas with gain.... crafty blighters !!

I suppose a problem with that could be 'how' that signal is radiated
and how 'close' to the upper tested limits the manufacturers sail?

ie, One make / model of WiFi kit is 'known' to work better (afa range
lets say) than may others? Or have more options that may help
propagation.

Ignoring the risk to humans from microwaves, I think what should be
important to those who set the rules is what proportion of signal
get's out past my boundries. Ie, if I lived in a Faraday cage I could
(should be able to) use whatever power I like ;-)

So, if I want to get a signal down to my workshop I should be allowed
to do whatever re the (max) power available (I'm talking antenna here)
as long as the rf that actually makes it out of my house is below the
permitted maximum?

I know the above is pretty unworkable in the real world but you get
the idea ...

All the best ..

T i m