N. Thornton

Default Heating Costs - scary!

Ste Kearney wrote in message ...

I live in a rented house, village location, oil fired, detached, old and
Grade A listed (yeah, Scotland...)

Been here since last July and the heating oil costs are scaring me a bit!

Filled the tank three times so far! 2300 litre tank at roughly £430 a
fill....

So it's heading for £1700 for the year. House is four beds, 18 radiators of
various sizes and parentage. The boiler is fairly new and is a Trianco
Eurostar. We have lots of draughty windows and doors, all single glazed.

I just wonder if that's what's to be expected with a house of this size and
age or whether the system need an overhaul. I certainly hear a lot of
gushing noises from it when it's coming on and going off.

Now we are lighting coal fires, never done it before but I remember my mum
doing it years ago!

Thanks for any help!

Steve

At this rate your landlord is going to lose tenant after tenant,
losing money. I'd put together an info pack for landlord explaining
a. how much theyre gonna lose dues to repeat quitters
b. how much heating cost could be saved with some not too pricey
measures
c. what thatll cost
d. what the payback period is for the landlord.

Oh, and then say if its not done in 2 months youre quitting.

Now with that there is a good chance your landlord may come along and
sort it out for you, free.

draught proofing windows, doors, letter boxes, any holes in walls, etc

floor might be a cause of cold if you have old floorboards over earth.
COld air flows under the floor and comes throught the gaps. Fill
cracks with papier mache or put sheet wood over or under the boards.

Secondary glazing, glass, plastic or even film (very cheap)

heavy curtains or liners

loft insulation 8"

fit TRVs

fit programmable thermostat.

and the obvious, wear a jacket and turn the heat down to 16.

Finally if he wants to go to town, batten insulate and board the outer
walls.

Some of this is so cheap to do it'll pay back within a year -
esecially with your bills.

Regards, NT