T i m

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:42:52 +0000, Dave Stanton
wrote:

So I take it it's the radiated power that is 'measured' and if so at what
point around the antenna (ie if it's directional what is gained at the
front will be lost at the side won't it?)

All the best ..

T i m

You need to look at some simple explanations of antenna theory. a
directional antenna can have side lobes for instance.

Indeed, but I was just questioning if the 'rules' covered power to the
antenna or radiated from it?

The problem I have had go like this ..

I have used a USB (V1.1) WiFi thingy (not 'dongle') on a 5m single
port repeater and it's own 3m lead and that allowed me to position the
remote end in a good place (good height / behind a window etc).
Because of issues with the PC / USB I've made use of a PCI 11g card
with antenna that attaches directly to the rear but the PC sheilds the
RF to some degree. I could get one of those little remote stands to
take the std 'rubber duck' (probably cheaper than buying a complete
'mushroom') but leads / connectors are all lossy and are sorta self
defeating?

The (nearly) ultimate solution (outside of running cable) would be a
Ethernet WiFi box (like an AP) but I don't have one and they aren't
cheap? Also, it would need power and that may not be available near
the optimum placement of the unit.

Maybe I'll go back down the USB route as it can easily be 'remoted',
is host powered and the cables / units are pretty cheap now (I only
need .11b)

All the best ..

T i m