Mary Fisher

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

The downstairs bay windows in my house (double bay 1920's) were
replaced with Double Glazed units some years before I bought the place.
There are a few remaining single glazed windows that I would like to
replace with double glazed glass, but want to keep costs to a minimum.

Could I simply replace each single pane of glass with a custom made
sealed double glazed pane in each existing wooden framed window? The
windows have been well maintained over the years and are in v good
condition.

Yes, we've done our entire house like that. It's cheaper and less disruptive
than getting the plastic boys in, you can do each pane at once and at your
own pace. We spread the labour and cost over two or three years and hardly
noticed it.

Would I just use putty or beading to hold the window in place? Would I
also be ok to do this to replace the glass in the first floor bay?

We did - a round bay with five big and five small lights.

I'm looking now, it must have been silicone 'putty'.

And lastly, if I'm ok to do the above - can anyone recommend a supplier
in the Cardiff area?

No, look in Yellow Pages for glass suppliers and ask them if they do custome
made units. Our local one, luckily, is only a mile from home and very, very
helpful.

Mary