Dave Stanton

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:37:36 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:25:25 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

I would like to extend the range of a home WiFi link (better signal
strength down to the workshop) and wondered if anyone here had
*actually* built / tested one of those DIY 'can' type antenna /
reflectors / whatever?

The illegal ones you mean ? :-)

Are they?

I thought it was 'ok' as long as you didn't exceed the max power into the
thing?

So I take it it's the radiated power that is 'measured' and if so at what
point around the antenna (ie if it's directional what is gained at the
front will be lost at the side won't it?)

All the best ..

T i m

You need to look at some simple explanations of antenna theory. a
directional antenna can have side lobes for instance.

Dave

again
in the future!!